Skip to main content

That Final Night... Again

When I was planning and thinking about Barcelona, I had no doubt that I would return, at least once, to Madrid. Anyone who reads or has read some of the entries in this blog from a few years ago will know that going to Madrid was a big part of my life, even if it was encapsulated in two months’ time. This is the entry from my personal journal the day that I left Madrid:

The universe has a funny way of trying to make sense of itself. Or maybe it’s not that; maybe it’s just mocking our attempts to make sense of it. Either way, as I lie here tonight, I have to smile.

I’m lying here in this room for the last time, and things are very much as they were the first night I spent here, two months ago. The shelves are empty, I’m lying on a bed with no sheets (I took them off to clean them and they’re still not dry), and I’m staring at the orange square of light cast through the window from the street. It’s as if careful measures have been taken to ensure that, on this final night, I see that the only thing that’s really changed is me.

Those thoughts comforted me, and I had the feeling that the image put a nice little bow on the whole experience. Even though I knew I would return to Madrid, that night seemed final. I must have forgotten my own realization: the universe does indeed mock our attempts to make sense of it.

After I had gotten more or less settled in Barcelona, I contacted Cheli, whose apartment I had stayed in three years ago, and told her I was thinking about coming to Madrid soon.

“You’re welcome to stay with me for a weekend!” she wrote back. “You’re old room is open.”

I couldn’t believe it. After three years, I would be staying in that same room. I was so excited that I booked a plane ticket for the following weekend. I pulled out old maps and started looking through my pictures and writing from my time in Madrid. Looking at the dates I realized something else: I would be arriving in Madrid on exactly the same date- November 12- that I had left it three years ago. I hadn’t even thought about it when I had booked the flight, but now it almost seemed like I could not have booked any other day.

When I stepped out of the Metro stop at Vinateros, it was for the first time and for the hundred and first time. I’d spent a lot of time walking the streets of that neighborhood, and every step seemed to come rushing back to me. The memories were so strong that, when I crossed a street or saw a restaurant, it wasn’t as if I was doing those things again, rather I was doing them simultaneously. My mind had a parallel memory for every step I took.

Along with the memories of images and sounds, though, came the same desire to explore. I went to the places I loved three years ago. Puerta de Sol is still a beautiful public space with great food, which can be inexpensive if you know where to find it. Weren’t there benches, though?

A new public market had opened up two years ago, so I went to see that. The Mercado de San Miguel is a fresh food market surrounded by sleek glass windows. It has a group of tables in the center where you’re invited to eat the delicious tapas they serve in the various stalls. I had lunch there the first day, and went again on the second.

El Retiro still made me feel like I had stepped out of the city for a little while. I had forgotten how much fun people-watching could be in that park. Families, joggers, students- everyone had a different way of enjoying the space, and there was plenty of room for all of it.

The Prado Museum had a Renoir exhibit and a new wing, so I saw those. Coffee, a pastry, and the museum made the cold Madrid morning a little warmer.

Around Moratalaz, the barrio where I had lived, I had a drink at the same bars and walked the same streets. The night before I left I couldn’t help making the comparison again. I was, after all, in the same bed, in the same room, staring at the same patch of orange light. When I left Madrid three years ago I had a more focused sense of what I wanted to do than I had when I arrived, but I had something more important than that: I had the confidence to actually do it. And now I was back, finishing school, seeing Europe… I was doing the things I said I’d do three years ago. That night didn't tie my experience off in a little package; it actually left the story open to continue, as it always does.

Comments

Nana said…
Brandon: I don't really know what to say - except that reading your blog is a real eye-opener for me. You are amazing - and I'm so happy to read how happy you are. This experience will have life-long implications for you. Thanks for the insights I'm gaining about you!

Popular posts from this blog

Candlepower

Candlepower- intensity expressed in candles Time passes differently in this reading room, I think to myself. Minutes turn into hours like the wax of the candle turns from a solid into a liquid, running quickly together and building up. I barely noticed when the sunset, and am only just now aware that I had lit the candle at all, let alone that it was my sole source of illumination. I lean over it carefully to blow out the flame that sits on a short nub of wax. Two things happen in that instant. The light in the room blinks out, of course, as the flame is extinguished. Also, as I stand there in the dark with my face above the candle, the last tendrils of smoke drift upward and into my nostrils. Instantly, decades of birthdays flash through my mind, a blur. I’m a child, standing up on a chair at the kitchen table, eyeing the cake my mom has decorated to look like a clown. I’ve just blown out the candles and everyone around the table- all family- is clapping. I’m slightly older, this time

Sol, At Night

On kind of a spur of the moment decision I went to see a movie tonight. It was a British comedy called, “Death at a Funeral.” It was a funny movie, and it was good to get out and do something different. Seeing a movie in Spain differs very little from seeing one in the States- or anywhere, I imagine. The only major difference was probably the assigned seats. Come now, we wouldn’t want people sitting where ever they wanted, willy-nilly. (Note: what’s Spanish for “willy-nilly”?) No matter where you are, though, Friday night movie crowds are good people. They’re not worried about anything, they have the weekend ahead of them, and they all at least have some sense of fun- otherwise, what’s the point of going to see a movie? They’re likely out with a partner or a group of friends, enough to put anybody in a good mood. I waited with my ticket in the lobby among my fellow movie-goers and the smell of popcorn. I had arrived far too early, proving once again that moving to another country doesn

Unnecessary Personal Update #3: I'm Almost Out of Peanut Butter

Before we came to Barcelona, the counselors and instructors showed us a graph. A long, curvy line showed us the ups and downs we could expect while spending almost a year studying abroad. The excitement of arrival, the frustration of having to shop, get around, and find an apartment in another language and culture, the thrill of actually accomplishing those tasks, the unavoidable homesickness, etc. I glanced at it at the time but shuffled it back into the ream of documents we'd been given. 'Don't tell me how I'll feel,' I probably thought, ' I'll tell you , when it happens.' And through all the good times I've had here in Barcelona, I haven't thought much about that graph. But during the not-so-good times, the days when the entire city seemed to be an implacable force motivated only to bedevil me... I thought about that graph. The damned prophet that had seen all of it coming. Yes, there have been ups and downs this year. But even in the