Skip to main content

365 and I Didn´t Waste A One

Originally I was going to write a humble, what-I’ve-learned sort of review of 2010’s major events for me. That’s kind of my thing, anyway. But then I started listing what’s happened this year and I decided to throw the humility crap out the window. I’ll just say it: this year was awesome. I’d be doing it a disservice if I tried to play it down.

1. U of I- My second semester of U of I was filled with interesting classes, new friends, and a lot of fun. My classes were varied and I learned so much that I still carry with me. (I can have a basic conversation in French, I can draw and label a cross section of a brain- to a certain extent, I learned about force and momentum and electromagnetism and a bunch of other things I’d never have learned about in an English class.) I got all A’s and made the Dean’s List again. I spent a lot of time applying, writing, and interviewing for the study abroad program that allowed me to be in Barcelona right now. I survived Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day, even if I did pass out by 8 o’clock that night.

2. Lost 50+ lbs.- I’ve done some cool stuff, but this one still impresses me. (Did I mention I’m throwing humility out the window?) Seriously, though, it’s had a profound effect on my life. For a year now I’ve been exercising regularly and eating much better. It’s changed the way I think about what I can do, what I should do, and why I should do it.

3. Brody Christopher- My nephew! To be fair, Keri did most of the work on this one, and I just get to do all the fun uncle stuff. The kid laughs at everything, which I’m pretty sure means he’ll do just fine in life. I can’t wait to get back to the U.S. and hang out with the little guy. (But I do keep having dreams where I’m holding him and he keeps shrinking until he’s just in the palm of my hand and I have to be really careful. Strange, no?)

4. Barcelona- Frankly, the year could have ended in August and it would have been enough for me; Barcelona has been another thing entirely. It’s allowed me to travel to many beautiful places and meet a lot of wonderful people. I’ve gotten to know Barcelona pretty well, too, and Barcelona is a difficult city to know.

5. Next year- Next year I’m looking forward to showing my best friends and my mom around Barcelona, packing up and going home, and continuing/restarting my life there. I want to pay off my old debts and get myself an apartment. It’s obvious that this year has been one of major changes, and they don’t stop at midnight tonight; they’ll carry into next year. (Okay, so maybe there was a “what I’ve learned” element after all. I just can’t help myself.)

Comments

Trisha said…
I love this post! And you definitely did have a good year - due almost entirely to your own effort - so you should be proud.
Kevin Pyle said…
I'm very proud of you for your accomplishments of the last several years. You took life by the horns and, well, as the kids are saying, made it your bitch. :o) Can't believe I just wrote that, but I'm gonna leave it.
It'll be great to have you back in the Spring, but I'm glad you're doing so much while you're there.
Keep writing...these posts should be published someday!
~Dad
kaylee said…
You're the man, Pyle.
Brandon said…
haha Do you know how hard it was NOT to include the phrase "made it my bitch" in this post?
It's awesome that you said it, though. lol

Popular posts from this blog

Sol, At Night

On kind of a spur of the moment decision I went to see a movie tonight. It was a British comedy called, “Death at a Funeral.” It was a funny movie, and it was good to get out and do something different. Seeing a movie in Spain differs very little from seeing one in the States- or anywhere, I imagine. The only major difference was probably the assigned seats. Come now, we wouldn’t want people sitting where ever they wanted, willy-nilly. (Note: what’s Spanish for “willy-nilly”?) No matter where you are, though, Friday night movie crowds are good people. They’re not worried about anything, they have the weekend ahead of them, and they all at least have some sense of fun- otherwise, what’s the point of going to see a movie? They’re likely out with a partner or a group of friends, enough to put anybody in a good mood. I waited with my ticket in the lobby among my fellow movie-goers and the smell of popcorn. I had arrived far too early, proving once again that moving to another country doesn

Candlepower

Candlepower- intensity expressed in candles Time passes differently in this reading room, I think to myself. Minutes turn into hours like the wax of the candle turns from a solid into a liquid, running quickly together and building up. I barely noticed when the sunset, and am only just now aware that I had lit the candle at all, let alone that it was my sole source of illumination. I lean over it carefully to blow out the flame that sits on a short nub of wax. Two things happen in that instant. The light in the room blinks out, of course, as the flame is extinguished. Also, as I stand there in the dark with my face above the candle, the last tendrils of smoke drift upward and into my nostrils. Instantly, decades of birthdays flash through my mind, a blur. I’m a child, standing up on a chair at the kitchen table, eyeing the cake my mom has decorated to look like a clown. I’ve just blown out the candles and everyone around the table- all family- is clapping. I’m slightly older, this time

Unnecessary Personal Update #3: I'm Almost Out of Peanut Butter

Before we came to Barcelona, the counselors and instructors showed us a graph. A long, curvy line showed us the ups and downs we could expect while spending almost a year studying abroad. The excitement of arrival, the frustration of having to shop, get around, and find an apartment in another language and culture, the thrill of actually accomplishing those tasks, the unavoidable homesickness, etc. I glanced at it at the time but shuffled it back into the ream of documents we'd been given. 'Don't tell me how I'll feel,' I probably thought, ' I'll tell you , when it happens.' And through all the good times I've had here in Barcelona, I haven't thought much about that graph. But during the not-so-good times, the days when the entire city seemed to be an implacable force motivated only to bedevil me... I thought about that graph. The damned prophet that had seen all of it coming. Yes, there have been ups and downs this year. But even in the