Skip to main content

When Did That Happen?

7:56, just before the alarm. I set down the clock and rolled back over to look at the ceiling and wake up for next four minutes. A few morning sounds filtered in through my window, which opened up into the interior of the building. I listened to the indistinguishable morning conversations of my neighbors, birdsong from the cages hanging in other windows, and echoes of the noise from the street. It was relatively quiet, but I knew that soon the sounds of jackhammers and construction would invade through the walls. When I’d first moved in I would bolt upright in bed at the sound of it, cursing to myself and suggesting that the construction workers’ mothers were promiscuous and, perhaps, canine. Lately, though, I was already awake and getting ready by the time the work started. Today was no different; the first groans of construction were beginning as I got out of bed.

I awoke fully and dressed. I looked briefly in the mirror and, not for the first time, failed to recognize myself. I had lost weight; my own jawline was a stranger to me. I hadn’t gotten a haircut since arriving in Barcelona, and now my hair was longer than it had been in years. I patted it down with my hand and combed it forward with my fingers. It would come down over my eyes soon. After that I wouldn’t even see myself in the mirror, let alone have any idea who was looking back. I shrugged and the mop-headed mirror-me shrugged back.

My bag was already packed for the gym so I grabbed it and headed out the door. The morning was still cool from the night before but already, early in February, the sun was getting stronger and I knew it would be another warm, clear day by the afternoon. I walked the handful of blocks to the gym, joining the joggers and the dog walkers and the bent-forward elderly people that always seemed to be shuffling down the streets and in and out of the bakeries. The bakeries were the only businesses open at this hour, their well-lit display windows filled with almost fetishized works of art in the form of cakes, pastries, and breads. Look but don’t touch, I reminded myself. I had to remind myself again on the way home. Maybe I’d stop in for a coffee and a pastry this weekend.

I stopped at the small convenient store across the street from my building and bought some fruit to go with breakfast. The cashier told me the price and my shoulders slumped.

“I’m a little short.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he laughed. “You’re in here often enough. Don’t worry about it.”

Back home, I was showered and eating breakfast when the doorbell rang. It was the landlord, coming around the collect the rent. He was a short, older man who always smiled when we saw him in the stairwell and greeted us with an enthusiastic “Buenos días.” The first couple of times I’d met him I was still nervous about my Spanish so I had left the room, and even pretended not to be home once. This morning, however, while my roommate counted out the rent money, the landlord and I talked about the roadwork they were doing down the street, and how fast they were moving, and how it really did leave the street looking better and more open. When he left I made some coffee and a bocadillo to bring to school, and headed out into the rest of my day, which was already getting warmer.

‘When did that happen?’, I thought. When did I start to feel comfortable in this large, strange city?

Comments

Kevin Pyle said…
You may be getting comfortable with the city, but it is also getting comfortable with YOU!
Good post. Love you. Stay safe.

~Dad
Laurie said…
I am so proud of you and your adventurous soul. You bravely went to this foreign country and have made it your temporary home...I emphasize temporary. I am so looking forward to seeing this large, strange city through your eyes.

Love you and see you soon! Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Sol, At Night

On kind of a spur of the moment decision I went to see a movie tonight. It was a British comedy called, “Death at a Funeral.” It was a funny movie, and it was good to get out and do something different. Seeing a movie in Spain differs very little from seeing one in the States- or anywhere, I imagine. The only major difference was probably the assigned seats. Come now, we wouldn’t want people sitting where ever they wanted, willy-nilly. (Note: what’s Spanish for “willy-nilly”?) No matter where you are, though, Friday night movie crowds are good people. They’re not worried about anything, they have the weekend ahead of them, and they all at least have some sense of fun- otherwise, what’s the point of going to see a movie? They’re likely out with a partner or a group of friends, enough to put anybody in a good mood. I waited with my ticket in the lobby among my fellow movie-goers and the smell of popcorn. I had arrived far too early, proving once again that moving to another country doesn

Unnecessary Personal Update #3: I'm Almost Out of Peanut Butter

Before we came to Barcelona, the counselors and instructors showed us a graph. A long, curvy line showed us the ups and downs we could expect while spending almost a year studying abroad. The excitement of arrival, the frustration of having to shop, get around, and find an apartment in another language and culture, the thrill of actually accomplishing those tasks, the unavoidable homesickness, etc. I glanced at it at the time but shuffled it back into the ream of documents we'd been given. 'Don't tell me how I'll feel,' I probably thought, ' I'll tell you , when it happens.' And through all the good times I've had here in Barcelona, I haven't thought much about that graph. But during the not-so-good times, the days when the entire city seemed to be an implacable force motivated only to bedevil me... I thought about that graph. The damned prophet that had seen all of it coming. Yes, there have been ups and downs this year. But even in the

Candlepower

Candlepower- intensity expressed in candles Time passes differently in this reading room, I think to myself. Minutes turn into hours like the wax of the candle turns from a solid into a liquid, running quickly together and building up. I barely noticed when the sunset, and am only just now aware that I had lit the candle at all, let alone that it was my sole source of illumination. I lean over it carefully to blow out the flame that sits on a short nub of wax. Two things happen in that instant. The light in the room blinks out, of course, as the flame is extinguished. Also, as I stand there in the dark with my face above the candle, the last tendrils of smoke drift upward and into my nostrils. Instantly, decades of birthdays flash through my mind, a blur. I’m a child, standing up on a chair at the kitchen table, eyeing the cake my mom has decorated to look like a clown. I’ve just blown out the candles and everyone around the table- all family- is clapping. I’m slightly older, this time